Selecting the devices that fit your needs
Tips and suggestions on how to go about selecting and purchasing the right smart devices
Conduct a needs assessment prior to purchase!
Assessing Your Smart Device Needs
The first step in the process is to systematically determine your short- and long-term needs, as well as those of other members of your household. Consider a room-by-room approach to identify the challenges that you and other members of your household may face. The following questions will help you think through those challenges:
- What challenges or limitations do you or members of your household anticipate experiencing in the next 2-5 years, 6-10 years, and beyond?
- What smart devices would help you meet those challenges and what specific functions and features would be most desirable? (Examples: reduction in indoor air pollutants, maintaining consistent temperature)?
- What would be the most ideal way to control those devices and what other devices might be needed to accomplish that task?
- What budget do you currently have for devices that will meet these challenges and what additional resources will be necessary and when?
Selecting and Purchasing Devices
Prior to the selection and purchase of smart devices, you should consider the following questions:
- Will the smart devices meet my needs and the needs of others in the household?
- Once installed, will the smart devices be easy to operate?
- What are the additional costs of home adaptations/modifications, if any, related to the devices?
- Will this smart device be compatible with other devices and control systems in the home?
- As my needs and the needs of the household change, will additional smart devices work with the main communication hub?
- Are product rebates available?
Need help installing your device? Click below to explore your options!